WIC (Women, Infants, & Children) is a special supplemental food program. WIC provides:
- Nutritious foods, nutrition information, breastfeeding promotion, breastfeeding support and referrals to other health and social services.
- Foods may include: infant formula and cereal, adult cereals low in sugar and high in iron, milk (and lactose-related milk), cheese, juice, eggs, peanut butter or dried beans/peas, carrots, and canned tuna.
Who is eligible:
- Pregnant women
- Breastfeeding women (up to infant’s 1st birthday)
- Post-partum women
- Children ages 1-5
- Live in Louisiana
- Currently receive Medicaid, SNAP, TANF, LA CHIP, LA MOMS or meet income guidelines
- Have a nutrition/health need
How to tell if you are eligible:
If you do not have health insurance, Medicaid/Bayou Health provides coverage for healthcare services.
- To learn more about Bayou Health, click here.
- Or call (888) 342-6207 for more information.
LaMOMS is no-cost health coverage for pregnant women, for all pre-natal and delivery costs. LaMOMS pays for pregnancy-related services, delivery and care, up to 60 days after the pregnancy ends.
LaCHIP (Louisiana Children’s Health Insurance Program) provides healthcare to uninsured children up to age 19. It is a no-cost program that pays for children’s hospital care, doctor visits, prescription drugs, shots and more.
- To learn more about LaCHIP, click here.
- To learn what LaCHIP covers, click here.
- To apply for LaCHIP, click here.
LaCHIP Affordable Plan is a health insurance program for uninsured children in moderate income families whose income is too much to qualify for regular LaCHIP but whose gross income is below 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Level.
TAKE CHARGE PLUS offers Medicaid coverage for family planning services to males and females of child-bearing age. There are certain income requirements, and you can’t have health insurance that covers such services. TAKE CHARGE PLUS covers family planning services including physical exams, birth control, STD testing and treatment, and family planning-related lab tests and medications.
Magellan provides coverage for mental health services.
- If you have Medicaid, you can also get behavioral health services, such as mental health or substance abuse treatment. Magellan is who manages this type of care.
- To learn more, click here or call (800) 424-4399.
LaHIPP (Louisiana Health Insurance Premium Payment) is a part of Medicaid that may pay some or all of the health insurance premiums for you and your family. If you have insurance through your job, and someone in your family receives health coverage through Medicaid, you may be eligible.
GNOcommunity.org is a service to help individuals in the New Orleans area find a quality healthcare center that meets their needs. Most participating clinics accept private and public health insurance, or payments can be made on an income-based sliding fee scale.
Our support staff is standing by 24/7 to answer questions and to link you to resources in your area.